Saturday, September 5, 2009

Malice In Wonderland... A Birthday Tea Party.

It's my birthday tomorrow and I don't have anything thoughtful, remarkable or precious to say in relfection on the past year or the one to come.  So to borrow from George Bernard Shaw, "Life isn't about finding yourself.  Life is about creating yourself".  In my case, I guess I'm not done yet.
I created this image from an accidental photo taken during a shoot with Matt Dula.  Sometimes he continues to shoot when I'm not posing and I end up with some of the only pictures of my "non-staged" self.  I was fixing my hair between poses, when he took this shot.  The image shows such a natural expression and introspective mood I couldn't have posed this or have been brave enough to show my real self if I had known he was still shooting.  That ties into my theme for the future, which involves being brave enough to reveal my true self without fear of judgement or reprisal.  Good luck with that.
The other layers in this image are a chess board from the cement at the beach and a headless birthday girl cake topper (also the mascot of this blog).  It was headless when I found it which is why it was so precious to me.  It reminded me of the line from Alice in Wonderland, "Off with her head". 
When I was little I wanted to grow up to be Alice in Wonderland.  At the time I was drawn to the way that a fantasy world could become so indistinguishable from reality.  Now that I am grown up I see the other aspect of Alice's character... her frustration with not being able to tell the difference.  I guess I can relate to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment