Thursday, April 15, 2010

"They can't take that away from me..."

Miss Midori singing on stage at Olive, 1998? 99?

Its been a minute, but I had a chance to get back onstage for a song on Thursday for the opening of Dion's new club, The Shady Lady.

Its a small venue with an even smaller stage, and I sang over a recorded track rather than with live accompaniment, but it was good times :)

Back in the day I led the house band, performing every Saturday night at one of Dion's old clubs (the now defunct) Olive, a jazz club in Chicago.  I Dj'd there during the week and booked talent for the venue during the day. With my band, "Miss Midori & The Jazz Inquisition", we recorded a CD at Chicago's Southport Records, a label known for its jazz and blues artists. I played venues around the Midwest, opened for some of my favorite bands at the time such as Indigo Swing and Southern Culture on The Skids and sang on stages as far afield as Paris, France at Le Caveau de la Huchette. Eventually though, I moved on, pulled up roots, left Chicago, traveled the country and tried my hand at being an grown-up.  I'm not sure its going to stick, but I'll keep you posted ;)

In the struggle between my private and public personas (and I do mean plural personas), I wonder whether performance is something I want or need in my ongoing future.  There is something wonderful about allowing yourself to become someone different through performance.  Its a freedom few people get to experience.  Either way, whatever happens, I'm just going to enjoy it.

*Side note: This is one of the "Dresses with Stories".  It was a vintage red velvet dress (which I still have, btw).  It ripped up the side seam while playing a show on the road (it might have been in Milwaukee or Detroit) and I had to tape it up from the inside with silver duct tape.  Works pretty good if you don't plan on sweating or breathing much ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment