Thursday, August 5, 2010

Donghua Men "Snack Street" (3): Food Challenge #2... Scorpions!



After the snake skin I wanted to try something a bit more challenging. But there are so many choices.  The starfish looked impressive, but I heard they can be a bit tough.  There is sea urchin, but I can get that in the states.  That offering to the right is, I think, some animal "maleness", if you know what I mean ...





Those are cicadas up above, but I've heard mixed reviews about those as well.  Maybe too much guts for my first bug. The crickets look appropriately intimidating, but maybe I want something a bit more sinister.  Like Scorpions!  





Yikes!  Do you have anything a little smaller?



That's better!  These look like just the right balance of scary and manageable!  One stick costs about 15 Yuan or a little over $2 USD.  Once ordered they are dropped into hot oil and salted, which can make almost anything palatable! How do they taste?


Surprisingly good!  I'd eat more right now if I could!  They taste salty and crunchy on the outside and meaty and a little nutty on the inside.  Not stingy at all ;)

Here is the video of me eating them and talking to some people in the crowd.  

Click here for the YouTube link.

1 comment:

  1. yaaaaargh.... i'm going to go sit in a corner with my blankie and my lovie... *shivers*

    :)

    ReplyDelete