Thursday, August 5, 2010

Temple of Heaven (6): Sketching at the Temple draws a crowd of children (VIDEO)

Since he was last here in 1982, Beijing has changed... a lot.  But historic sites like this one change very little, aside from the multitude of baseball hats and cell phones.  So D chose to sketch the hall of Prayer for Good Harvests, since it was one of the landmarks he remembered most from his childhood trip.








At times like these, since I'm not really into drawing inanimate objects, I generally just sketch D as he is sketching.  I know, its seems weird, but I'm not that great at drawing architecture, so I would only do it an injustice.  Plus, its kinda funny.  People definitely had a laugh when they watched D drawing and then came around to see what I was drawing, amidst all this historic architecture, and its just a sketch of him sketching.  Oh well, I amuse myself ;)





  

Here is my sketchbook with my phone set to the Temple of Heaven page from the Beijing Taxi Cards app on my iphone. 




Wherever he goes to sketch, he always draws a crowd of curious children and sometimes adults.  They always want to pose for pictures with you too, which I agree to do with children, but not adults.  Its not that they think you are a celebrity, just that, you look different... or at least he does.  Anyway, the children were cute and funny, especially this solid little man in the yelllow tshirt.



And here is some of the video of the children watching him sketch.  So cute!  Here is the YouTube link, if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment