Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Benetton, I Blame You!

I've always been inspired by creative make up artistry.  Art you can wear, that transforms you as a person.  It all began with those Benetton ads in the 80's that I took waaay too literally.  I haven't been able to find some of the ones I remember, ones that had bright, tribal-esque or theatrical inspired colors in geometric shapes painted asymmetrically on fresh faced models.  If you find them, please, please forward them my way!

In junior high I remember going to school with my hair in a side ponytail with a neon orange stripe painted on one side (I think it was supposed to be a lightening bolt).  Once I wore a mime stripe over one eye and another time it was a black cross, again, only over one eye (matched my Madonna inspired rosaries). The most avant garde look I came up with involved one green eyebrow and pink eye shadow with little "seeds" painted on the lid.  It was supposed to look like a slice of watermelon... I know.  This last incident may have been the one that inspired the Principal to call me out of class to ask me if "everything was ok at home".

Sadly I don't have pitcures of those early attempts of my own, but I did find these lovely images on Flicker by Panda Cat Baby.  She did the makeup and photography for the image below and the one above.  I still haven't gotten through all over her albums, but already I'm all "Rachel-Zoe-I-Die" over her.


































In high school I only continued to get more... "creative" with my hair and makeup themes, which were frequently "conceptual", but I'll save those stories for later ;)
Obviously I still take every opportunity to play "dress up", whether its for a party or a holiday, (or just watching a period film).  My friend sent me this link to the MAC Facebook site that shows techniques for some of their outragous looks: MAC FREAKS OUT BEHIND THE SCENES.

One of my favorite looks from this collection is the Roy Lichtenstein inspired comic book heroine face, painted with little dots:


Roy Lichtenstein

Another favorite source of inspiration is Japanese street fashion.  A constantly evolving melange of western and asian influences, there is always something unexpected transforming there.  

I'm collecting images of my own MUA work for my portfolio... coming soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment